21 October 2011

roasted soybeans



Soybeans. I never know what to do with them! I've had a jar of dried soybeans sitting in the pantry for long enough that I thought I'd better use them or turn them into a craft project.



I had a look through my cookbooks for ideas and came up with an old one I used to make and had forgotten.



Boil the dried beans for one hour. Let sit overnight in the water. In the morning, boil again for two hours. They should be ready, but if not, boil a little longer until they are soft.

Heat the oven to 375F. Spread the beans into a bar pan and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle with gros sel and bake for 20 minutes. Stir. Bake for another 20 minutes. Stir and check. Add more time as needed until they are completely dry. It can take up to an hour.


Sprinkle with spice/herb mixture of choice. My favourite is: dried tomato paste + dried oregano + dried basil + cayenne, combined and powdered in a coffee grinder


No comments:

Post a Comment