06 October 2011

lacto-fermented ginger carrots


With all the yoghurt making that has been happening in the kitchen this fall, there has inevitably been the odd jar of whey produced. My frugal side wouldn't allow me to pour it down the drain. Luckily, I remembered that Sally Fallon had many ideas for using whey in her inspiring cookbook Nourishing Traditions so I had a look.

I was wary about how the process was going to work, but followed the instructions to the letter and ended up with three 500 mL jars of ginger carrots. After three days, and no exploding jars, my curiosity got the better of me and I opened a jar.

It smelled fresh and appealing. That was a start. The taste was delicious; a slightly pickly, tangy flavour. Although Fallon suggests that salt can be reduced if using the whey I didn't feel comfortable experimenting on my first attempt, but may have more confidence to do so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment