07 October 2011

raw and roasted pumpkin seed butter

I've had a jar of raw pumpkin seeds in my fridge and thought I would try my hand at making raw seed butter.


I put about two cups worth in the food processor and began blending on high. It took a long time until the raw seeds released their oil and began to blend. In fact, I became frustrated after about ten minutes, and put a different two cups worth of seeds into the oven to roast before returning to the raw processing. (The colour change in the photos is a result of me not paying attention to the white balance. The photos that show the raw seeds as very green are the most true to life).


Eventually, the oils released, and the seeds began to stick together.  I had to stop the machine frequently to scrape the sides.


When it did begin to clump together it still took quite a while to blend to smooth:


This is the smoothest that it came... quite thick and dry:


But when I processed the roasted seeds it took a fraction of the time and blended to a beautifully smooth texture:


The taste of both butters is delightful, and quite different in flavour.

2 comments:

  1. I'll guess I'll have to make this. It looks sooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Julia :)
    The pumpkin seed butter is so, so good! Let me know if you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete