14 October 2011

kefir-making

I have been kefir-curious for a couple of years now, but finally had an opportunity to get started this month. I am waiting for my kefir grains, and look forward to that! In the meantime, a friend gave me some of her batch that had been started with a powdered culture. We did a test to determine the difference, if any, between the "real thing" and the powdered starter kefir. The difference was incredible. But until I get the grains, we are all enjoying the kefir we have.


Making it is a lot like yoghurt. I heat six cups of milk and add a half cup from the previous batch. I cover it with cheesecloth and leave it in the pantry for 48 hours when I start another batch for the pantry and put the original in the fridge. It's a cycle we were able to establish very quickly.


I enjoy drinking it on it's own, cooled or room temperature. Howie adds chocolate protein powder to his, and the girls sometimes add it to their smoothies with frozen berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment